Reporting to the Quality Manager, the position is responsible for assigned aspects of Quality within Canadian Babbitt Bearings Ltd.
Principle Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The Quality Control Inspector is required to ensure products meet standards of quality, standards, and safety, contribute to and improve CBB’s Quality System and continuous improvement programs:
Experience & Knowledge
Canadian Babbitt Bearings Ltd., manufactures and repairs different forms of critical bearings used in the energy, marine, and industrial sectors. In addition, CBB manufactures associated industrial products. Understanding and experience in manufacturing with different materials, specifications, complex turning and five-axis machining, assembly, and special processes is a significant asset.
- Perform visual and dimensional inspections including FAI and Final Inspection on various manufactured components and assemblies in compliance with the company’s Quality Assurance System and associated standards and customer requirements to meet and exceed the needs of the business.
- Perform incoming inspection as per requirements Create incoming inspection reports for customer review.
- Create CMM programs accurately and efficiently. Perform manual measurements on the CMM when required.
- Perform in-process inspections as required utilizing the CMM as well as shop-floor inspection equipment. This includes First Offs and operation validation with appropriate disposition
- Review and manage NDT and Material Certifications, hard and soft copies. Certifications are to be stored for easy retrieval and retained accordingly.
- Perform final inspections and complete and compile all required quality reports/documents for customer submission.
- Prepare and fully document required inspection reports and associate documents
- Validate and perform in-process inspections
- Perform First Article Inspections, work to control plans and ITPs
- Calibration and calibration management
- Acceptability decision making
- Root Cause Analysis, Cause and Corrective Actions
- Effectively interact and participate with Production and Engineering to maintain product supply and assist in new product introduction
- Contributes and participates actively in continuous improvement activities, promoting quality achievement and performance improvement throughout the organization.
The ability to communicate and manage customers both externally and internally is a key attribute
Experience & Knowledge
Canadian Babbitt Bearings Ltd., manufactures and repairs different forms of critical bearings used in the energy, marine and industrial sectors. In addition, CBB manufactures associated industrial products. Understanding and experience of manufacturing with different materials, specifications, complex turning and five-axis machining, assembly and special processes is a significant asset.
Key technical attributes:
- Experience/knowledge of quality requirements
- Familiarity with process specifications and quality requirements
- Familiarity with international and national standards and legislation
- Experience in quality systems.
- Machining close tolerance components
- Hands-on ability with various measurement techniques
- Ability to work to standards and establish clearly defined quality methods to apply
- Ability to understand and read complex design drawings (metric/imperial) and GD&T
- Must be able to read and interpret complex drawings and 3D Models (metric & imperial)
- Ability to use manual measuring tools
- Ability to determine the best measurement method for the specific function
- Solid working knowledge of quality methods and techniques including CMM programming and inspection methods and PC-DMIS
- Ability to liaise with customer auditors and ensure the execution of corrective action and compliance with customers’ specifications
- Ability to write clear and concise technical and management system reports
- Ability to prepare clear explanatory documents
- Familiar with ISO9001 and Z299 (Nuclear)
- MS Office with strong MS Excel skills
- The ability to work with solid models is an asset
- Understanding of Lean principles and single-piece flow manufacturing constraint management
- Data analysis and current state value stream analysis.
- Future state value stream mapping.
- Setup reduction.
- Standard work.
- Standardization of tooling.
- Mistake proofing (Poke Yoke).
- Lead-time reduction.
- Process improvement by waste and defect elimination.
- B.Sc. degree in mechanical engineering and quality associated discipline or equivalent experience
- Appropriate quality certifications
Physical Demands and Environment
The physical requirements include exposure to both office and production environments that contains noise, dust, and fumes. The physical effort of this position is moderate with some lifting, standing, walking, and carrying involved. Most time is spent sitting at a desk, where fine finger movement is required to operate general office equipment and personal computers. The environment is fast-paced and requires meeting deadlines and verifying product quality within time constraints. Will work independently in an unstructured environment and understands, respect, and adheres to the workplace Health and Safety rules and regulations. Occasional travel to customers or suppliers is required.