Reporting to the Production Manager, the position is responsible for Manufacturing Engineering and CNC Programming for Canadian Babbitt Bearings Ltd.
Principle Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The Manufacturing Engineer is required to develop and prove manufacturing processes and associated CNC programs in line with production demands and product development requirements. The objective is to participate in and contribute to building a cost-effective and repeatable quality standardized manufacturing approach to the company’s manufacturing processes This includes developing 3D Models, 2D Drawings, Parametrics Fixture & Tool Design, Manufacturing Instructions, Shop Application, and Prove Out. It also includes contributing to and improving the internal processes of the company
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Development of standardized cost-effective manufacturing processes and costs
- Proving out of developed processes
- Feature-based manufacturing
- Technical interpretation and manufacturing process development to lead time and cost parameters
- Quality process integration
- Development and production of standardized work instructions including Set-Up
- Tool & Fixture Selection, Design & Supply
- Process troubleshooting and technical support
- Engineering document & CNC program management and revision control.
- Integration with product development
- Engineering Change Control
- CNC Programming
- Mastercam CNC Programing, post-processing
- Machine code proves out
- Development of standard program macros
- Feature-based Programs and Parametrics
- Production per production schedule – required CNC programs
- Electronic Tool & Fixture Library
- Program verification
- CNC Program Revision Control System
- Preparation of project schedules timelines and costs
- Participate and contribute to continuous improvement, promoting quality achievement and performance improvement throughout the organization.
- Effectively interact and participate with Sales, Technical Advisors, Production, Manufacturing Engineering & Quality personnel within the company and Russell Industries
- Maintaining awareness of the business context and company profitability, including budgetary control issues.
- Assessing the product specifications of the company, competitors, and its suppliers, and comparing with customer requirements.
- Ability to review and analyze technical documentation
The ability to communicate and manage customers and suppliers both externally and internally is a key attribute
Experience & Knowledge
Canadian Babbitt Bearings Ltd., manufactures and repairs different forms of critical bearings and associated industrial products used in the energy, marine, and industrial sectors. Canadian Specialty Castings manufactures many different alloy castings at its Canadian Specialty Casting facility. Understanding and experience in design, quality, and manufacturing with different materials, specifications, complex turning and five-axis machining, assembly, and special processes is a significant asset.
- Prior Manufacturing Engineering & CNC Programming, industry technical and or operational experience with a proven track record
- Experience with Mastercam, Solidworks, and Vericut
- Understanding of Lean manufacturing practices
- Ability to communicate both verbally and electronically
- Manufacturing experience/knowledge of energy, industrial and marine, and associated applications
- Familiarity with process specifications and quality requirements
- Familiarity with international and national standards and legislation
- Experience in developing and designing manufacturing processes and product
- Manufacturing close tolerance components
- Ability to write clear and concise technical and management reports
- Understanding of manufacturing scheduling, process, and vendor management
- Understanding of performance criteria,
- Monitor performance by gathering the relevant data and producing statistical reports
- Collating and analyzing performance data
- Ability to work in a team environment together with the staff of different disciplines and drive the group to plan, formulate and agree comprehensive procedures and actions
- Ability to prepare clear explanatory documents
- MS Office with strong MS Excel skills
- Strong Engineering Drawing understanding and interpretation required
- Specific understanding of GD&T
- Understanding of and application of Health and Safety Protocols
- B.Sc. degree in mechanical engineering or associated discipline or equivalent experience
Physical Demands and Environment
The physical requirements include exposure to both customer facilities, office, and production environments that contain noise, dust, and fumes. The physical effort of this position is moderate with some lifting, standing, bending, walking, and carrying involved. Time is spent sitting at a desk, where fine finger movement is required to operate general office equipment and personal computers and in the Production Environment. The environment is fast-paced and requires meeting deadlines within time constraints. Will work independently in an unstructured environment and understands, respect, and adheres to the workplace Health and Safety rules and regulations. Travel to customers or suppliers is required.