Reporting to the Shop Foreman, the position is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of production equipment including CNCs and conventional machines to produce quality parts while maintaining acceptable levels of production.
Principle Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Responsible for setup operation of large CNC Vertical, Horizontal Turning Centers Horizontal Boring Mils & Machining Centers plus manual machines as required. Note heavy manual work is required in compliance with CBB Health & Safety practice.
- Machine product (up to 20 tons) to specified requirements as defined on Job Travelers, Drawings, and Operations Instruction Sheets. Must be able to read blueprints and various symbols regarding tolerances, surface finishes, etc.
- Cleaning and inspection of parts to ensure product compliance is achievable prior to the metal removal process.
- Verify tooling requirements are met in advance of the commencement of each job. Escalate any issues/concerns to the supervisor.
- Machine product at optimal conditions to maintain the cost-effectiveness of the machining process.
- Ability to read and understand programs to a degree that will allow you to manage operations details from offset management to safe operation of the machine tool. CNC Shop Programming where applicable.
- Monitor and maintain tooling in peak conditions.
- Clean & verify dimensions of parts machined using precision measuring instruments as required, and complete all associated quality documentation.
- Practice excellent 5S and general housekeeping, including but not limited to, his/her work area, chip removal, floor areas, benches, and storage areas to ensure a safe work environment.
- Perform daily machine checks per preventative maintenance program and safety procedures.
- Use of overhead crane to set up and move parts.
- Participate in Lean Implementation and Lean initiatives
- Follow CBB-established safety practices and regulations
- Ability to communicate effectively with peers, supervision, engineering, and quality personnel
Experience & Knowledge
CBB manufactures complex bearings and associated components is typically difficult-to-machine materials. Understanding and experience in manufacturing with such materials is a significant asset
- CNC machining experience, consisting of machine setup & operation of CNC Vertical and Horizontal Turning Centers and manual lathes
- Ability to read & interpret blueprints, drawings, charts, tables, and quality documentation
- Challenged daily in working with large complex components, where material variation and condition require an analytical and skilled approach to machining the product
- Motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong analytical skills and keen attention to detail
- Previous experience working with overhead cranes as an asset
General machinist certificate or equivalent experience as an asset